RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Turbo: Unchain Django Early Please?



Quentin Tarantino is a madman. Watch an interview with him and it's like trying to keep up with a very articulate and intelligent five-year old. The man talks a mile-a-minute and no two thoughts seem to connect. But if you haven't seen a movie of his that you didn't love, then I have no respect for your opinion on movies. For me, the favorite is Jackie Brown. It took about 25 viewings to become so, but to me that's his masterpiece thus far. But I have a feeling that's about to change.

To put it bluntly, Quentin hasn't done a black-character-driven film since Jackie Brown. I feel that's actually where his comfort level is in writing. His black characters are far more entertaining and heroic than his white characters ever have been. He's said that he's always felt more in touch with black people than white people because he was raised in a predominantly black neighborhood growing up, so it's what he knows. But he hasn't written what he knows in a long time now. I loved his last movies, but I'm ready for him to bring me another black badass on the silver screen.


I have a feeling this will be an iconic image in film history.


Starring Jamie Fox as the titular chacter, this movie looks like it will do to slave owners what Inglorious Basterds did to Nazis, and that is to show absolutely zero mercy. I love seeing justice paid out, and one of the great injustice's committed on U.S. soil was slavery. Of course, the slaughter and forceful removal of Native American's would be right up there as well. The lack of women's rights might be somewhere right behind that, but we already had Kill Bill, what more do we need to say on the matter (KIDDING of course)?

Robert Rodriguez recently said that Django is Quentin's best movie to date, which is nice to hear. Of course they're best friends who created a new niche in Hollywood together, so I take it with a grain of salt, but I also don't see him being much of a bullshitter. I've read a Tarantino script and what you read is what you see. And that means vice-versa too. What you see on the screen was written first. I've heard from many sources now that this script is spectacular.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment