RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Monday, September 17, 2012

Is it though?




Don't get me wrong by the title of this post, Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite fairy tale story (in all it's weird and dark incarnations) as well as my favorite Disney animated film. With good reason...

At least on the film part.

We're talking about a highly award-winning and nominated film. The only animated film in fact to ever be nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Picture category. So let's just say it's a great film.

But IS it the most beautiful love story of all time!?

Here is where I make the obligatory bondage reference...except, I'm above that. Any mediocre hack-writer could cynically tear this story to shreds. But I don't want to do that nor do I find it refreshing, necessary, and/or prudent. 

Personally, I would argue it's ONE of the most beautiful love stories ever told. But it's a few chickens short of a roost for the top spot.

However, there is something visceral and pure about that poster and it's claim on having a beautiful love story behind the curtain. Look closely at that poster, sure the Beast has a few vague bestial characteristics, but overall it's just a big dude dancing with a lady. There's something to the story of Beauty and the Beast that speaks to the basic differences between men and women.

It speaks to the relationship between men and women. Rose and thorn (see what I did there?), tough and soft, "Cowboys and Angels, leather and lace" (great Garth Brooks song), rough and tough versus soft and firm. I think ultimately this is why Beauty and the Beast can take a top stop on the ultimate love VH1 list of whatever their doing for whatever reason or other.

My point stands...screw VH1.

Obligatory great scene:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment