RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Time: Star Wars gifts!





Ever since I can remember I've equated Christmas with Star Wars. No way, right? Well once I realized how true this really was about myself, it threw me off a bit. So I started tracing back through the years, trying to figure out how and why this happened. I mean, I love Star Wars, but do I love it THAT much?


First and foremost I remember one year in particular that I played Super Empire Strikes Back on the Super Nintendo for like hours on end for days on end during one Christmas season. All the while I had one of Amy Grant's Christmas CD's (my mom's, FYI) or Garth Brook's Greatest Hits on in the background while I played. This is also why I equate Garth Brooks with Christmas as well. I count that as a win too!




I loved the Hell out of this game. It was so much fun. Hard, but fun. It makes sense, the best Star Wars movie makes the best Star Wars game (of the time). Very fond memories here. So I think this is a major reason as to why Star Wars and Christmas can hold hands in the pictures of my book.

But I think the major plot point here is that I always got cool Star Wars Christmas presents!

Lightsabers? You betcha.

Figures and toy vehicles? Of course.

New boxed sets on VHS or DVD? Without a doubt.

Maybe it's the color of the lightsabers? Green, blue, and red? Maybe?

I THINK SO!

The odd thing here is that it just makes sense. Christmas and Star Wars...how doesn't that go together like peanut butter and jelly? Here's where I think my sense of reality has been ultimately warped and while it may be completely natural for me, it probably isn't for everyone else. Eh, whatever. Everyone should enjoy the Christmas season however they like!

This got me thinking though that there might be some people out there that you know that love Star Wars, so here are some gift ideas for you.You're welcome.





The Making of the Empire Strikes Back



Amazon lists this at $53.55. That's a great price for a PHENOMENAL book. I bought this for myself last year as a Christmas present (yep) and have cherished it ever since. It's a totally immersed, detail-ridden expose' on the making one of the best movies ever made. The information and history included in this book is truly amazing and extremely informative. ANY Star Wars fan would be thrilled to own and read this.






Force FX Lightsaber



These babies vary in price, but are usually around a hundred bucks. Some have detachable blades which is very cool. But effectively these are high-end lightsaber toys and the closest thing to the real thing. I own one myself and it's badass. I bought mine years and years ago and they've only gotten cooler since then. Star Wars geek's can be diverse and everyone has favorite characters and indeed, favorite lightsabers for their own various reasons. I put Luke's from ROTJ (Return of the Jedi) down because it's a classic and my personal fave.







 Jedi or Sith Bathrobes



Geeky, yes, but positively epic. Who doesn't like bathrobes? Star Wars? Exactly. Again, these range in prices, I've seen some as low as 50-70 dollars, but Amazon has got them at around $79. I have yet to indulge myself with this gift, but this is something I would definitely love for Christmas.







 The Jedi Path



My mom got this for me last year without me even having to tell her that I wanted it (that's how awesome she is). It's effing amazing. It's written almost like a Jedi manual or diary that has been passed on through the years to various Jedi and it covers everything from manipulation of the force to lightsaber combat. There are notes scribbled in the pages from various Jedi that have owned the book while mysterious pages have been ripped out and certain passages highlighted or crossed out. There are knickknacks cluttered within the pages as you go along, and the book itself is stored in a really cool shell that opens automatically with the push of a button. This is a must have for any serious Star Wars fan. Plus, they have the Sith version which just came out as well: Book of Sith




Now just as an FYI, what do we really NOT want to get a Star Wars fan this year?





I've covered before why I will not buy Star Wars on Blu-ray. So I won't go into another rant. It really comes down to the reality that I won't buy another Star Wars movie package until the theatrical releases are included. The fact is these movies have been more manipulated that Michael Jackson's face (before he died)...too soon? With each new release, Lucas tweaks the movies even more and his tweaks are far more damaging than helpful. So no thanks. All Star Wars fans should be boycotting this Blu-ray release.



So I hope this was helpful, informative, and fun for you. Mostly I hope this inspires you to buy something cool for your Star Wars geek, whoever they may be!

In the meantime:


No comments:

Post a Comment