RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Friday, December 23, 2011

My only real problem (so far) with the Amazing Spider-Man


So another Spider-Man movie is coming.

More importantly, this is a new franchise. A re-booted franchise so to speak. I have absolutely no problem with this. It's inevitable. Hollywood creativity is just as diverse and ever-changing as the comic book community is and since when have comic books ever been consistent with a solid creative team? It's extremely common for a new writer to hop onto a series and change many things that were present beforehand let alone within the overall continuity of the character and his or her's history. So we should expect this of the movie series. After all Superman is on his third franchise, Batman is on his second (even though we could argue it's his third, thank you Joel Schumacher), and the Hulk has had what - three film incarnations so far?

I'd like to believe that we're all hip and knowledgeable enough to go with the flow. James Bond has had how many faces now? And how many director's? Put that into context and you'll have an idea of how I see things going for the world of comic book movies for the next 50 years or so. Change is constant. Ride the wave or crash, it's up to you.

You really think Robert Downey Jr. will still be Iron Man in ten years?




There it is. The new Spider-Man trailer.

We have a fresh start with new faces and a whole new origin story.

Ah, therein lies the problem...I'll let the new movie poster explain it for me.


2 guesses why this bothers me...




"The Untold Story"

Nope, pretty sure the origin of Spider-Man has been told about A MILLION FUCKING TIMES.

And this is where my anger rises.

See I'm not sold either way yet on this movie. There are issues with fans all over the world over the actor's chosen, the look of the villain (the Lizard btdubs...FINALLY), the tone of the film, the director involved, and etc.

I'm waiting for the next trailer before I put my two cents in on much of that BS. But what bothers me now is that they're trying to sell this movie as the untold story when it's a story we've all heard at least ONCE if not TWICE...and for many geeks, it's a story we've heard TOO many times.

Like I said above, I'd like to think that most movie goers are pretty hip. Even if you've never read a Spider-Man comic book or watched the various shows and cartoons about the character, chances are you've seen the first movie. So it's NOT an untold story to really ANYONE.

It's the old Superman argument. Granted, Spider-Man is not as huge as Superman but one could argue he's probably in the top 3 somewhere with Kal-El from Krypton and Batman. He's a character we all know and probably don't need to know how he came to be. Hell, Superman has had his origin done in two (about to be three) movie series, at least two cartoon shows and FOUR live-action TV shows, one of which lasted for 10 years and was ALL about his origin. It's fair to say that within the next 100-200 years we could do without EVER having to see or hear about Superman's origin.

I think the same could be said about Spider-Man.

Obviously Hollywood thinks we're retarded and has to sell us on a character we already know and love. I don't mind yet too much that this flick might be a huge retelling of a story I've already heard and seen a million times (even though I'm physically tired at the idea of watching another Spider-Man origin story). What bothers me is that they're trying to sell it as something I haven't seen. Or that it's something you haven't seen. We've all seen it!

I realize there will be new elements...but nonetheless it's redundant and ridiculous.

End rant...for now, but I'm sure there is more to come.



On the upside, the video game looks amazing...heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment