RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tintin: Change of position?




I haven't been very vocal in the Cave about my disinterest in the Adventures of Tintin coming out on December 21st. The reason for this stems from the fact that I usually don't like to dwell in negativity (surprising, right?). I'd rather promote and/or talk about cool stuff. Geeky, fun, interesting stuff, etc. At least here in the Cave.

In my personal life, I've made it a point whenever the subject is brought up to let people know exactly how much I could give two shite's about this flick.

For one thing, it's been made using that HORRIBLE Robert Zemeckis beholden to motion-capture that is just weird, freaky, and completely unnecessary. Just shoot the damn thing in real life...if you want it to look real, guess what? Nothing looks real like: REAL.

Secondly, the movie keeps advertising that Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are the forces behind this film like it's a good thing. Okay, why? Couldn't their power be put to so much better use? Hey Steven, why not give us a better Indy movie?

I'm sorry, but what the eff is a Tintin? Why should I care?

This is a Belgium comic book series created by some dude called Herge'.

Yeah...again, who cares?

Beyond Prince, I make it a point to not care or be involved with any dumbass that has one name. Yeah, yeah, I know it was a pen name. But still. I think this is sound wisdom (and don't bring up Madonna because she sucks).




Dearly beloved...blah, blah, blah...GO CRAZY!


I've been to Belgium and beyond their beer, who cares about anything else...I kid, I kid. I actually enjoyed my short stay in Belgium quite a bit and the people were awesome. HOWEVER, I still don't think I need to give a crap about a Tintin and why are two of the most powerful and successful people in Hollywood working on this flick?

It's almost maddening!

Couple this with uninteresting trailers, ad's, and posters. My bitterness wins out.

That was before I saw the latest trailer:






Um, is it me or could there be a good movie here?

Almost instantly, nostalgia has set in and I'm catching whiff's of Raiders. Could it be? Will Tintin actually be GOOD? There's a sense of fun and adventure here that's been sorely lacking from many a Spielberg foray as of late. I've seen too many trailers to try and put a number down even as a pseudo-reference. Some have made the movie looked better than it is while some have made the movie look like crap when it's really awesome. I'm pretty good at judging a movie based off of a trailer. Yet, this is one of those rare times where the trailer has gotten me genuinely excited about something I wasn't even remotely interested in.

Then I read JoBlo's review:

Tintin Review


Annnnnnnnd now I think I'm sold.

The review solidifies my thoughts on an Indy comparison by saying that this movie almost should have been Indy IV and that Spielberg doesn't shy away from the homage with the score and visuals.

So I'm on board. I'm gonna go check out the Adventures of Tintin.

Never say I can't change my mind or admit when I might've been wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment