RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Monday, January 30, 2012

Eff the Oscars!




 The less we say about this rancid award show the better. However, some things BEG to be said.

There was a time when I actually WANTED to win an Oscar.

That was before I became disenfranchised with this particular award show and grew up to realize and see firsthand how bullshit political it all is. If I somehow ever DID get nominated for something Oscar-related, I wouldn't even bother to show up. It's that much of a joke to me now.

The truth is that we all know how much of a joke the Oscars are these days. However, I've never felt such anger before than when I reviewed the list of nominations for this year's major categories (i.e. Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, etc.):


Utter BULLSHIT


I'm sorry, but this year contained some extraordinary movies like Warrior, Drive, Super 8, and even We Bought a Zoo. All of these movies deserved multiple nominations let alone, I believe, some wins. The fact that Ryan Gosling was snubbed for a Best Actor nomination and Warrior didn't get a Best Picture nom to me is abhorrent alone.



Whether you like or dislike Drive, you can't deny Gosling's performance was phenomenal.


But when you factor in the actual noms like Brad Pitt as Best Actor for FUCKING Moneyball and Jonah Hill as a Supporting Best Actor for Moneyball, let alone a goddamn Best Picture nom for MONEYBALL...I gotta call BULLSHIT. The Academy apparently went crazy for Moneyball, why? I have no fucking clue.

Hell, Melissa McCarthy secured a Supporting Best Actress nomination for BRIDESMAIDS. Really!? Or the Help as a Best Picture nomination!? I'm not saying these are bad movies or bad performances. I'm just saying they are not the BEST in any category that they're put in.






The nomination's are utterly despicable and cowardly.

Don't get me wrong, Moneyball was a fine film, but it was not one of the best of the year. Nor did any performance in the film earn an Academy Award Nomination.

These are SADLY safe and pathetic nominations folks. I mean could it get any safer than War Horse?

I feel like the only saving graces here are the nominations for Rooney Mara for the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (that she better damn well win) and Nick Nolte for Warrior. But that's about it.

Since I saw the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo my attitude was that IF Mara wasn't nominated I would go from rage to total flipping my shit. Never in my lifetime have I been so wrong about an actress and never before have I completely been won over. I never flat-out said Mara couldn't pull it off, I just really didn't believe she could, but after watching the flick, I was sold...I told myself then and there: I will NEVER doubt this woman again.

So thank God she got a nomination. If she hadn't, I'd probably be planning to car bomb the whole event. Let's just hope she wins it, because that was the best performance of the year, hands down.

Oh, but then there's the whole NOT nominating Alan Rickman for his final and best performance as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series. Not only do I think he should be nominated but I think he should have won. For years the Academy has snubbed Harry Potter, and that's fine, I wouldn't expect them to pay attention to an amazing series that has been both critically and commercially praised. I wouldn't expect them to honor the astounding achievement that Warner Bros. has accomplished by keeping an amazing cast together for EIGHT films to tell a singular story. I wouldn't expect them to glorify the role of a man who has been shrouded in mystery and has always played a role that was both bad guy and good guy with the exquisite grace and attention to detail that Alan Rickman (a classically trained actor to boot) has.

No because I understand that the Academy is made up of complete morons and lackey's who look to suck dick in Hollywood by giving their homey's and personal favorites attention while snubbing the people who ACTUALLY deserve credit.

And this is why I say FUCK the Oscars. I haven't watched them in years, but this is the first year in a long while that they have really gone out of their way to piss me off.

Thanks, but no thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment