RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Musical people you should listen to!


I've noticed a trend with the little musical numbers I've hit you with in the past. They pretty much all tend to be folksy.

Well deal with it, because I like folksy stuff!

Ok, calm down. Nobody likes an angry and vengeful reader. Yes you look simply murderous right now. So I'm going to level the playing field and bring peace upon your holy of peaces and promise that at least ONE of the musical acts in this article will NOT be folk-based. Good 'nuff? You stop crying yet?

Either way...here we go:

First up is the Weepies. I actually don't know too much intel about them. I know they're a married couple who makes great music...what else do you need to know? The girl has a lovely if not entirely unusual voice. I've said before that Mumford and Sons get's my soul. Well this girl's voice totally get's my heart. Can't explain it, don't know why. Have a listen:









Man I don't know what it is, but there is just something magical about these songs that I love. Everything is just so melodic, deep, and soulful. There's a longing in their music that speaks to me.

I like them not only for their music, but I appreciate their artistic sensibilities. They write and play music they want to and don't give a damn if they're famous for it or not. You can see this in the fact that even their OFFICIAL videos on YouTube don't actually feature them. That's very telling.

Anyhoo, moving on.

The 88 is a band I found through the AMAZING and wonderful TV show that is Community. If you haven't watched this show you're missing out on the best comedy on television. Easily.

Regardless, the 88's "At Least it Was Here" is the theme song for the show, and it took me a while to realize it was only part of a whole song. So I downloaded the whole song, liked it and started checking the 88 out. Sure enough, good stuff.










See? What's not to love? A little poppy but who can fault well written music that's fun? They remind me of a new era of Weezer. And seriously, if you don't love Weezer, you just suck.

I also mentioned Mumford and Sons earlier in this article. I have no intention of doing a lot of writing and/or plugging for Mumford and Sons because I think they are well known enough that I don't have to. Hell most of the people I know closely know about them because of me anyway! Yes, I'm THAT awesome.

Nevertheless (been waiting a while to use this word), if you haven't heard of Mumford and Sons, here's your introduction. My two favorites:







And BOOM goes the dynamite. Awesome band, awesome music. First song up there really helped me in a tough time. But enough of that nonsense, you should already know Mumford, so I'm going to act like you already do.

Until next time, kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment