RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Man of Steel update


For those of you who don't know, there is a new Superman movie coming out next summer. It's called Man of Steel and if you go and see the Dark Knight Rises you will get to enjoy it's first official teaser. I'm really excited about this movie, for a lot of reasons. One is that it's really well cast. The guy they got to play Superman is Henry Cavill, you may not be familiar with him, but he's a big guy and he LOOKS the part...not like mopey/emo Brandon Routh (ugh). Amy Adams is playing Lois Lane and I think that is absolutely pitch perfect. Diane Lane and Kevin Costner will be playing Ma and Pa Kent respectively with Michael Shannon playing General Zod...oh and Russel Crowe is playing Jor-El. Talk about a phenomenal cast.

Secondly, this is being directed by Zack Snyder. I've gone on record before that I think Snyder is one of the best filmmakers working today - he get's a bad wrap from idiotic fanboys, but he's damn good storyteller and an extremely interesting visual director.

Just a quick rundown:

Dawn of the Dead is IMO the best zombie movie ever made. 300 was a tour de force that started a very important trend: staying faithful to source material which was continued with Watchmen. In Watchmen Snyder did the impossible. He took a graphic novel that most (including myself) believed was unfilmable and made a damn good movie that was arguably as close to the comic as it could EVER get. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole was a very enjoyable animated flick that harkened back to my memories of The Secret of Nimh. And for anyone who saw it, you can get a taste of what the flight sequences in Man of Steel might be like - and they will be AWESOME. And finally, I'm a huge fan of Sucker Punch, I get what he was trying to do, I understand it's not for everyone, but I think it's an amazing flick that's a whole lot of fun.

There is literally no one else I'd want to do this (with the possible exception of Joss Whedon - but even then, I don't know), with his strong visual style and loyalty to the comics, Snyder is the guy we want to show Superman blasting through the air and going toe to toe with Zod.

So go out and see the Dark Knight Rises and get a taste of your first GOOD Superman movie in damn close to 35 years. Oh and then there's this:




No comments:

Post a Comment