RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Friday, July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises review




Batman is my idol. Hard to believe, I know. Yet even as a child I would tell everyone I knew that I was going to find a way to someday BE Batman. I was going to give the world a hero it so richly needs. It didn't cross my mind until later that I probably shouldn't be telling people about this desire - not because it made me seem idealistic and innocent but because it put a target on my back so that when a real life Batman finally appeared too many people could point the police in MY direction. It was probably around my teens where I very briefly attempted a fairly organized PR blitz to abscond from everything Batman and slowly place us decidedly apart.

But enough of my insanity.

There's a lot to look up to when it comes to Batman. He's intelligent, brave, noble, honorable, self-sacrificing, talented, fearsome, tough, strong, and all of the above again and again and more besides. In many ways, he's the perfect hero.

It's important that you know how I feel about the Dark Knight because I was sort of preparing for the worst with this third and final installment in the Christopher Nolan Bat-series. Although, I was diligently hoping for the best. But there were too many rumors and hints of elements within the story that I found disturbing and not at all in alignment with the Batman mythos.

That being said...

The Dark Knight Rises is an absolute triumph.

From start to finish, this is the ultimate climax to Nolan's franchise. It is a beyond brilliant cap to the series while being a flat-out great movie that can absolutely stand on it's own. The Dark Knight Rises not only steps out of the previous film's shadow but boldly casts it's own. You read that right, this is BETTER than the Dark Knight. It's needless to compare the two. However, that's where I stand.

It's been 8 years since the events of the Dark Knight. Batman is thought to be a murderer (having taken the rap for Harvey Dent's crimes) and Bruce Wayne is living in isolation. A series of events changes this and forces Batman back out into the open. A mysterious mercenary known as Bane is running around town causing all sorts of problems. He's ruthless, powerful, and extremely deadly. A retired Batman is probably no match for him...but you'll have to see the movie to find out because I won't spoil this one for you.




I was extremely surprised by how much the movie drew from the No Man's Land saga. It must be noted that Nolan has very nicely honored and touched on so many great Batman stories without trying to do exact copies of them. With Begins he used Batman: Year One and elements of the Dark Knight Returns. With the Dark Knight he drew from the Long Halloween and the Killing Joke. And with the Dark Knight Rises he draws from Knightfall and No Man's Land. In No Man's Land a massive earthquake isolates and shuts down Gotham leaving the people to fend for themselves as the Government declares it a - wait for it - No man's land. Batman and the Bat-Family (Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, etc.) including remnants of the GCPD try to maintain order as Gotham literally falls apart from within. Much of this movie plays out like a version of this storyline. Kudos to Nolan for getting so much great lore into three movies!

One of the major things I was planning on hating prior to viewing the flick was the 8 year gap. Batman can't stop being Batman. It's who he is. So I really didn't like this idea. I told myself going in, that this was Nolan's universe and I'm fully aware that he's been trying to tell the ENTIRE Batman legend in three movies. He's not just trying to tell 10-15 years of the story, he's going for broke. Retirement's gotta come into play eventually so I decided to go with it. Surprisingly, I found myself loving it. Within the context of the story, it makes perfect sense for Batman to stop, but this is sort of why Bruce Wayne has gone into crazy, Howard Hughes mode: He can't stop being Batman but he can't go out and be Batman so he's hiding. He's doing what's best for the city (or so he believes), but it's driving him nuts. Given the first chance, he's off investigating something and diving back in - eagerly! I love how he get's pulled back in and I love who pulls him back in. It's a great touch.

Much will be said about the villains of this movie and mostly about Bane. I fear we will be hearing film buffs and amateurs alike complain, compare, and contrast Bane to Joker and so on and so forth. It's beyond stupid to compare these two characters in any way, shape, or form. Personally, I've been a big fan of Bane's ever since he came onto the scene in the 90's and broke Batman's back in the Knightfall saga. Joker is of course an awesome character - maybe the best fictional villain ever created? They're both great, they're just different. Yet I fear the hallowed halls of film schools across the world will be full of debates over this topic for decades.

And they're all missing the point...Batman has an amazing rogue's gallery. The significant reason why his enemies are generally good is because they all bring something to the table. Not one is alike and they all have their own interests and motivations driving them on a collision course towards our cowled hero.




Bane is a force of nature. His confidence and wits matched with his superior strength and aggressive combat tactics make him a truly staggering foe. In Batman Begins, Bruce tells Alfred that he wants to create a persona that's elemental in order to spread fear into the underworld...I found myself thinking about this as I watched Bane brutalize Gotham's citizens. He's absolutely elemental. It's terrifying to see our hero go up against him, especially knowing that Bat's isn't in his prime and Bane has a clear and concise goal while Batman is playing catch-up. The Dark Knight is nowhere near prepared for Bane's ferocity and intelligence. It's a more visceral match-up.

Not to be outdone, this is ultimately a very personal Batman story. And Christian Bale isn't slumming it, rather he puts in what is arguably his best Caped Crusader performance yet. His intensity is startling, especially with his first Bane encounter. His anger and determination are almost palpable. It's a breath of fresh air and for me, it's all the right notes.

Meanwhile, there's Catwoman. Anne Hathaway nails the role (as I told everyone she would) having been pretty damn well cast in the first place. But it isn't just the way she plays the character, it's the way the character is fit into the story. On paper, it makes little sense why Bane needs and employs a cat burglar, but trust me, Catwoman is not shoe-horned in at all. She lives and breathes in this world and has her own motives and reasons for doing everything that she does. They really did a perfect job of introducing the world to the real Selina Kyle. Because Catwoman does not have mystical nine lives (a la Batman Returns) and she isn't Halle Berry. If nothing else, the Dark Knight Rises succeeded in giving Batman a female compatriot/companion/foil/love interest like the Catwoman of the comics. I've been waiting for this character to have some silver screen justice. Because honestly, she's one of the few people that really understands Batman. Despite himself, he's let her through his armor and they can relate to one another. They have a fascinating give and take that has kept their relationship (whether it's friendly or not) so interesting over the years.




I've read that a lot will be said about the ending of this movie and Joseph Gordon-Levitt's role as the beat cop John Blake. Well, about that. Levitt does a phenomenal job (as he always does) and while the initial reaction I had from the previews was that he was an unnecessary character, he's extremely likable. He's sort of the everyman that the audience can really relate to and root for. This would not have worked if Levitt's character had been at all annoying. But his childish love for Batman is so much like our own, that he's no bother. And while he has a strong role to play by the end of the movie, it isn't really what you think.

Some are calling the ending controversial. I don't know what movie these people watched, but I loved the ending. It made perfect sense for the series and the story that Nolan wanted to tell. Again, he's pretty much cramming over 80 years of Batman stories into 3 films. So he's giving us an ending here...and you know what? It frakking works.

I wish I could talk to you about the geek moments in this movie, but I made a concerted and decided effort not to spoil anything with this review. But there are so many moments where the inner comic book geek in me wanted to cheer...almost did. Even more so than the previous movies, this flick has got some really awesome money shots.

Batman and Catwoman fighting on a rooftop - awesome! Sorry, couldn't resist one little minor one. 

To sum up, this is seriously one of the most satisfying conclusions to any story I've ever seen or read. Right up there with Harry Potter (in print) and Battlestar Galactica. Every character get's their due. Everything is tied up and put in it's place. There is a feeling of logic and closure that feels completely natural and nary a heavy hand. There is no force behind this movie but the force of confident effortlessness. Moving to the beat of it's own drum at it's own pace, the Dark Knight Rises brings us to the end of the story and having just watched Batman Begins and the Dark Knight the other night, I can say: IT'S A DAMN GOOD STORY.

Welcome to trilogy heaven, Batman...it was a long road. Thanks for the fun, Chris Nolan.


12 / 10



No comments:

Post a Comment