RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm in shock...


My parents never understood my obsession with comic books. And for that matter, hardly anyone I knew growing up understood it either. Sure, I had a handful of friends over the years that got it, but most didn't.

I would always say something to the effect that, "guys, am I NOT awesome? Then I wouldn't be interested in something NOT awesome...BOOM!"

Just kidding, I did not talk like Barney Stinson twenty years ago. But essentially it's what I would say. Why would I read and spend time on something that sucked? I wouldn't. I've always said this about comic books and the saga of the heroes who wear spandex (or spandex-like material): There is something there, and it is awesome.

And if it weren't awesome it wouldn't have become the multi-billion dollar affair it has become in Hollywood.

Just think about it.

People are making boatloads of money off of comic book movies. If there wasn't something special to these movies they would absolutely and appallingly fail. But we love 'em. That's a WIN, my friends!

Still...

NEVER in my wildest dreams did I ever believe an organized Avengers movie would come to pass.

When I say organized I mean to say that I never thought they would carefully plot out a series of movies meant to introduce audiences to MAIN characters as well as SIDE characters and have them fit together cohesively while respecting their singular worlds - All the while building towards a team movie.

Of course I hoped for it and wanted it. But I never really dreamed it would happen.

Sure I knew an X-Men movie series was inevitable (which would ultimately be continually fucked up). I knew they would continue to hit and miss with Batman (for every Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin) AND Superman (for every Superman 1978 there is Superman IV: The Quest for Peace). I even figured that Spider-Man would get some good play.

But I never fathomed we would get the Avengers.

I always figured the Avengers would be a singular movie. No build-up, introduce all the characters-at-once cluster FUCK.

Side note: This is what WILL happen for the Justice League movie because Warner Bros. has their head stuck so far up their ass they can smell their own burps.

Yet we are getting this:





Which is pretty goddam close to this kind of stuff:










I could post a ton of pictures supporting this idea, but I just went with some basics mostly focusing on the BIG MEMBERS.

People, this astounds me! And we should all be happy and sing the praises of Marvel and everyone involved with the Avengers movie.

Seriously, I think about this and I realize that my anticipation level is somewhat numb because I'm in shock that this is even happening. I'm geeking out about this at such a hardcore level that I sincerely can't believe it's happening...or that I'm alive to see it come together and pay off. It truly is amazing that we're having an Avengers movie that has been so intricately woven together via multiple movies and written and directed by a geek like Joss Whedon who knows and understands the material to such a level that this is almost kid's play for him.

In another dimension, this movie is being made with George Clooney as Cap, Denzel Washington as Iron Man, Jennifer Lopez as Thor, Ashton Kutcher as the Hulk, and McG is directing. You know I'm right on this.

We got so lucky it's INSANE.

Therefore I am in shock.

"Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...he lived happily ever after."

OH HELL YES!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment