RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Monday, March 12, 2012

Project X review




Hooray the new "found footage" flick is up!

Look I've said it before and I'll say it again. The found footage gimmick can be a bold and grand statement for a movie that utilizes it in a necessary and interesting way. The problem with this is that few reasons to make a movie can utilize the found footage as both necessary and interesting, leaving the audience feeling like it's simply a GIMMICK. Because it usually is.

The Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield said everything I think we ever need to say with this style of filmmaking. Yet Hollywood has grasped onto it's ankles for only one reason:

IT'S CHEAP!!!!!!




The only reason I bring any of this up is because Project X falls into the same category as Chronicle. It could be twice as good, if not better if it had just been shot as a a real movie. In both films, I see no reason why this SHOULDN'T have been the case.

But whatever, on to the rest of the review.

Project X is a funny movie.

End review.

Just kidding...sort of.

I really don't know what to say about Project X that I haven't already said above. I think there's a really huge chance to over critique this film and miss the point entirely. I mean, it's a party movie. Three kids get a big party together that get's out of control. Fade to black.

From the outset, this movie is either your cup of tea or it isn't. Personally I liked it. Thought it was funny as Hell and a lot of fun in general.

Being produced by Todd Phillips (Old School, the Hangover, and Due Date), you should pretty much know what you're in for. Shit, in many ways, this flick reads like a prequel to Old School. The characters at this point are pretty formulaic and the situations they are in are all been-there and done-that whether we've seen it in movies or in our own lives. But hell, that's what makes these movie so much fun.

It's all about reveling in our own stupidity and insanity. Enjoying life and throwing caution to the wind. Isn't that what being a teenager is all about?

So again, I say you're either down for this kind of movie or you aren't. Personally, I enjoyed it. But I wouldn't recommend it to some of my relatives.



7 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment