RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Saturday, October 8, 2011

A crazy idea!

For a while now I've had this really adventurous idea. Most, if not all of you will say that it's absolutely bat-shit crazy. And that's okay because everyone and their mamma has got an opinion. However, I can't seem to shake this idea. I keep coming back to it and thinking about, romanticizing about it, planning it, etc.

So I figured why not write an article on it? Not necessarily to get a bunch of people telling me not to do it, but hey just to throw it out there and see what comes back. Too many times in our lives we have something we want to say, do, or talk about and we let the moment pass. We don't throw it out there. We should. You never know what you're gonna reel back in the boat.

Anyway, for a while now I've had this crazy idea to ride on horseback across the country.



I'll let that sink in for a minute.

Yep, ride horseback across the country. The United States. North America. West to East.

To be fair I have no delusions that this would be an arduous trip, possibly impossible, incredibly long and absolutely life threatening.

If I were to undertake the task I would commit to it wholeheartedly and of course have to learn all sorts of things that I do not know as of now. I mean, I'd pretty much have to learn all the tasks that come into play when one is attempting to survive off the land (i.e. hunt, navigate, skin, trap, conserve water, etc.) and even though I'm comfortable on a horse, my riding skills would have to be far improved upon.

The trip would also be expensive, as I'd have to buy a horse (of course), all sorts of gear, and have money saved away for emergencies in case anything went drastically wrong. I'd have to check-in with people along the way and probably have stuff stashed in various cities using safety deposit boxes.

My route would have to be planned extremely carefully and exacting if only for the sake of weather conditions so as to keep me the safest and less deadest. I'd have to keep a certain pace and always stay on my route so as to not get lost (a lot of land to get lost out there in folks) and stay as close to heavy populations whenever possible.

So believe me, some thought actually has gone into this absurd notion. I'm not just gonna sell my car and take off tomorrow. This would be thoroughly planned. And as crazy as it is, the idea is there...just rattling around my brain consistently looking for attention.

Let us not forget that people did this all the time not too long ago...and I always did feel like I was born in the wrong century...



1 comment:

  1. Not gonna lie, if you planned it, I'd consider joining you. But, I don't want anything to do with planning that. Just there as a companion and travel partner. A kid I went to high school with biked across country. He started at Harvard and I believe ended up in San Diego. He stayed at public places at night. He's now doing it across Europe (remember that argument about it..) Anyways, I don't think planning the route would be too difficult, I think it's more about how to care for the horses...

    ReplyDelete