RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Protomen


The Protomen is absolutely my new favorite band. I cannot rave about them enough.

However, full disclosure: I just discovered them today. Not even twelve hours ago. Yet, I now own both of their albums (thank you iTunes) and have listened to their songs several times over. Almost instantly I've become a mega-fan and damn near obsessed. And I'm not the only one.

Let me try and explain what I've learned so far and attempt to reason with you why you should definitely give them a chance.

Apparently the 10 members of the Protomen started out as college friends studying music in Tennessee. They can all play several different musical instruments and mostly got together to help each other on projects and make school work overall simpler. Somewhere down the line they developed the idea to make a three album opera (or three acts) loosely based on the Mega Man video game series. They go on to the stage with fake names wearing masks, helmets, and/or face paint. They also wear costumes, use props and engage the audience.

And this is where I'll probably lose many of you. But hear me out. Believe me, I know it sounds bizarre, but as out of left field as the concept sounds, it's actually pretty epic and awe-inspiring.

From what I've been able to glean based on articles and information about them through the internet (thanks internet) they tour constantly, put on a great show, are pretty private (or that could just be because they're still very indie), and have a devout cult following. With their first album (self-titled) they looked to disprove or at least fly in the face of everything they'd learned at school, push the limits of what rock is while never adhering to any set style or sound. They want to be original and free to do whatever they want. That's pretty darn amazing in this day and age. And it works, especially on their second album, Act II: The Father of Death where every track is almost completely unique to the one before it. It's insane...but GOOD. Oh so good.

I posted the following song on FB earlier today, but if you already haven't, I want you to give it a chance. The first thing you'll notice, the song is actually just really good. But if you listen closely to the lyrics, you'll find the song is telling a part of a larger story. More than most music, I find that the Protomen's songs demand that you pay attention to what's being said. That's not a bad thing, check out the Hound's:




Now compare that to something off their first album, the Will of One:





Eclectic? That's an understatement. But I think there's something here for everyone.

Now why Mega Man? Well, I'm still learning the ultimate truth to that question. But there are way worse subjects to base a rock opera on than a kick-ass series of video games.

I mean, what is the story of Mega Man? It's the story of an evil scientist (Dr. Wily) who has built himself a robot army that controls the world of a dystopian future, while a good scientist (Dr. Light) has built Mega Man, a robot meant to challenge Wily and his army, thus saving mankind. It's actually a great concept! The themes alone are pretty epic: Light versus dark, human's versus robots, robots versus robots, father at odds with son, etc. And with more and more robots being built everyday and the probability of A.I. being developed right around the corner the concept is somewhat realistic and relevant.

Let us not forget though that the Protomen are only loosely basing their soon to be completed story on Mega Man. Sure, the characters of Dr. Wily, Dr. Light, Mega Man and Proto Man are all there but it's taken into a darker world. A more adult and subversive direction. The band claims that they are not overtly obsessed with the Mega Man video games at all, they just saw something in the overall story arc of the many games that could be truly epic and taken in a much more serious tone.

Huge geek that I am withstanding, even I'm not the biggest Mega Man fan. Yet I can see what they're seeing. While I did enjoy me some Mega Man in my youth, I always felt there could be something more to it. Over the years, the games felt more contrived and repetitive. But in those first few games, there was something just below the surface, for sure. Some sort of darker mythology with a gnarly mystique that only an 80's video game could give off. The rise of machines to take over for men, the failure of men to save themselves, the need for a hero in response to overpowering odds, your enemy might just be your savior. These are not just mere ideas or throw away descriptions, these are the cornerstones for a great story.

And that's what the Protomen are really pulling together here. In their first album, they sing of the creation of Mega Man and the battle he must face. Surprisingly, their second album is a prequel. Telling the story of the rise of both Dr. Light and Dr. Wily, their work together, and the eventual fall into dystopia and Dr. Light's forced exile. They assure their fans that the final installment, their next album is on it's way.

They're just telling a great story. Maybe that's why I love 'em so much. I'm a sucker for a great story no matter what format it comes in.

There's just something beautifully dramatic, inspiring and powerful about their music even without the overall story arc. But when you factor in that story arc...well, damn. 

Please, check them out.





"There is a city that this darkness can't hide.
There are the embers of a fire that's gone out,
But I can still feel the heat on my skin
This mess we're in, well you and I,
maybe you and I,
We can still make it right.

Maybe we can bring back the light."

1 comment:

  1. "your enemy might just be your savior"
    spoiler alerts..BSG and Harry Potter (Snape)

    ReplyDelete